Position Summary: Design Engineer (Mechanical -Nuclear)
Location : Toronto or Oshawa
Duration : 1 Year Contract + ( likely to be extended)
• Expertise in various areas mechanical design, e.g., piping design, piping analysis, support design and analysis, pressure vessel design and analysis, rotating equipment, heat exchangers; assessment/design/specification of equipment and components etc.
• Knowledge and experience of performing design in accordance with client Engineering Change Control (ECC) procedures.
• Provide leadership to the project team on delivery of technical scope and integration of multi-disciplined design projects.
• Interface with construction/procurement partners, utility stakeholders, and equipment vendors throughout the lifecycle of the design project (i.e., from conceptual engineering, preliminary engineering to detailed design, installation, commissioning and close-out) to provide practical and effective solutions as per design requirements.
• Prepare project plan and recommend project schedules to the complex and multi-disciplined projects; Produce the project implementation plan for execution including identifying appropriate resource requirements.
• Coordinate closely with project managers and with various discipline team leads towards gaining acceptance, accommodating each other’s needs and persuading action to be taken to facilitate the implementation of project plan and to ensure an effective project delivery.
• Understand and assess client problems and determine appropriate means of technical solution.
• Develop and maintain contact with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure the project implementation plan update-to-date and consistent with current needs by integration of work effort.
• Conduct technical assessments and emergent troubleshooting/engineering to support refurbishment projects and operating units’ projects.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Proven track record in design and analysis of mechanical systems in nuclear power generation (and other industrial) facilities.
• Proven track record in interfacing with and coordinating activities of multi-disciplinary teams and ability to work effectively with project manager.
• Experience in understanding the full scope of tasks and accountabilities associated with the role, including the client needs and interrelationships between work groups.
• Expertise with rigorous engineering change control processes and application of QA programs.
• Experience in solving problems, providing advice and guidance, making recommendations during the design, commissioning and operation of a nuclear facility.
• In depth knowledge and experience of use of appropriate Codes and Standards such as CSA and ASME B&PV code as applicable to nuclear plant and conventional plants.
• Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and have demonstrated a high commitment to quality.
• Registered as a professional engineer in Ontario.
• Have a minimum of 4 years’ nuclear industry experience. Working experience on-site at a nuclear power plant is required.
• Appendix XXIII qualification as per NCA-4000 would be an asset.